Last updated October 1st, 2016
Collection of Information. Generally speaking, we may collect or receive the following types of information when you access or use the Services:
- Information You Provide to Us Directly. When you register, you may provide us with your name, email address, username, password, telephone number, date of birth, Country and certain location information. When you request or respond to requests for volunteer services, post or send messages or otherwise use the Services, you may provide us (and other users) with information about your needs, requests, interests, skills, services, activities and location. If you purchase any products or services from us, you provide us with financial information such as your payment method (credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information).
- Information We Collect Automatically. When you use the Services, we may automatically collect certain information about you and your computer or mobile device, including:
- Technical and navigational information, such as computer or device model data (including device identifiers IMEI), operating system information, application version information and information regarding the amount of time you spend using the Services;
- Your IP address; and
- Information about the content and features you access or use in connection with the Services, which we may collect using cookies, web beacons or other similar technologies.
- Location Information. When you use the Services, we may collect information about your location (separate from your address or other location information that you provide to us directly). For example, we may use the location features of your mobile device to determine your geographic location when you are using the Services. If you do not want us to receive such location information, you may control or disable the sharing of such location information via your device settings. Taking such actions may, however, prevent you from accessing certain features of the Services.
- Social Networking Information. If you connect to the Services through a social networking account (e.g., Facebook), we may collect information about you from that social networking account, including your name, email address, date of birth, profile picture, and other information associated with your social networking account.
- Information from Commercially Available Sources. We may receive additional information about you from commercial sources such as data brokers, data cooperatives, TimeBanks and public databases.
Use of Information. We may use your information for the following general purposes:
- To provide you with the Services, including to connect you with other members for the purpose of matching services and requests and to keep track of your hours;
- To continually improve the Services and enhance your experience with the Services.
- To analyze data regarding what services and requests are needed the most, what services and requests are provided most often, what communities are effectively improving the social well-being of their members and to determine the social outreach of each community, and to share data regarding these matters in email campaigns to users and communities to increase awareness, user participation and encourage local exchanges;
- To better understand your interests and to provide you with relevant content, advertisements, surveys, questionnaires and other materials;
- To manage your account, send you confirmation emails and other transactional information;
- To perform billing and payment activities;
- To respond to your questions and comments and to troubleshoot technical issues;
- As we believe is necessary to help keep our community safe or to otherwise protect our rights and the rights of others, including by enforcing our Terms of Service; and
- For any other purpose, with your express consent.
Sharing of Information. We may share your information in the following ways:
- Registered Timebanking Communities. When you join a timebanking community that is registered with TimeKeeper, information from your profile including your name and email address will be shared with that timebanking community. The timebanking community may use such information to track your volunteer activities or to send you email campaign sign-up requests, event notifications for various activities, and other reminders, newsletters or online media.
- Affiliates and Partners. We may share your information with our affiliates and partners. These entities may use your information to make predictions about your interests and may provide you with special offers, promotional materials, advertisements, and other materials.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with entities that provide services to us, including companies that provide payment processing, web analytics, data processing, advertising, email distribution, and other services.
- Legal or Security Requirements. We may disclose your information in order to:
- Enforce the legal rights, and protect the safety and security of TimeKeeper, its affiliates and partners, and its and their users;
- Prevent fraud (or for risk management purposes); or
- Comply with or respond to any law, regulation or request for cooperation by a government entity, whether or not legally required.
- Anonymized Data. We may share your information with third parties in aggregated or non-personally identifiable form for any business purpose.
- Research Institutions. We may share data with academic researchers in accordance with recognized institutional data handling and ethical principles. In such cases, none of your personally identifiable information will be included in any published material without your consent.
- Certain Corporate Transactions. If we enter into a business combination transaction (such as an asset sale, merger or other similar transaction), or in the event of our bankruptcy or liquidation, we may transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction.
- With Your Consent. In addition to the foregoing, we may share your information with other third parties with your express consent.
- Cookies. Cookies are small text files that websites and other online services use to store information about users on the users’ own computers. Cookies may contain a variety of information, such as the content of search queries, pages you have accessed, session durations and IP addresses or mobile device ID. Some of the cookies may expire when your browsing session ends and you exit your browser; however other cookies are saved on your computer’s or mobile device’s hard drive. If you wish to block our cookies, then please use the help button in your browser, or use the “settings” function in your mobile device, and follow the necessary instructions. Note, however, that disabling cookies may prevent you from using certain features of the Services.
- Web Beacons.We may use technologies called web beacons that communicate information from your Internet browser to a web server. A web beacon is an object that is inserted in an email or web page and is usually invisible to the user. The beacon can signal, among other things, that a user has viewed the page or email, allowing us to track user services and website traffic more effectively. We may use web beacons for a variety of purposes, including analyzing the use of the Services and to provide content and recommendations that are more relevant to you.
- Other local storage. We may use other kinds of local storage, such as Local Shared Objects (also referred to as “Flash cookies”) and HTML5 local storage, in connection with the Services. These technologies are similar to cookies in that they are stored on your computer and can be used to store certain information about your activities and preferences. These objects are stored in different parts of your computer from ordinary browser cookies, however. Many Internet browsers allow you to disable HTML5 local storage or delete information contained in HTML5 local storage using browser controls.
Protection of Information. We use reasonable physical, technical, and administrative measures to safeguard information in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. Please note, however, that we do use storage services of third parties that we do not control, and in any event no data transmission or storage process can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, although we strive to protect the information we collect or receive, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information that you transmit to us or that we otherwise collect from you.
Children’s Information. We do not knowingly collect or store personal information about children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information from our database.
Non-U.S. Users. The Services are intended for use solely in the United States. If you access or use the Services from outside the United States, please be aware that the information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Services may be processed and transferred to the United States and be subject to United States law. The privacy and data protection laws in the United States may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By accessing or using the Services, or by providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in the United States.
Changing or Deleting Your Personal Information. If you have submitted personally identifiable information (such as your name, address, email address, or credit card number) through our website and would like to change or delete that information, please contact us.
Your California Privacy Rights. TimeKeeper does not share your personal information with third parties for those third parties’ direct marketing purposes.